This blog has moved to www.nongeekperspective.com. There you will find new posts

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

 

PayPal Has Rejected Me Because Of My Name

I've received an e-mail from PayPal today that starts saying (bold emphasize mine):

Access to your PayPal account has been denied because your name is similar to or a match to an entry on the Office of Foreign Assets Control Specially Designated Nationals (SDN) list. We are required to further verify your identity.


and they want me to fax personal information to demonstrate that I am I and not other person with a similar name.

As I've never been to US I decided to google for that list and found it here, made a quick scan within the list (is in alphabetical order) and I didn't find my name there. There's no exact match! My first name appears several times and also my last name, but not together. So, what's their search criteria? Whatever it is I think they must refine it.

The mentioned list is full of supposed terrorist and people related to other illegal activities so they think I'm a really bad person and I don't like it. That's why I decided to write about this confusion.

However, I don't like to fax personal information either so I don't think I'll ever do it. If they want to know me they're welcomed to my home. They already know the address by the way. This problem seems to be common anyway.

I googled for my name and get 23400000 results! Maybe I have to change my name to a unique one, could be a GUID good enough for them?


Technorati tags: , , , , , , ,

Add to: del.cio.us | digg | furl | blinklist | netvouz
This blog has moved to www.nongeekperspective.com. There you will find new posts
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home